Rich Turkey Gravy
Note: To make turkey stock, simmer giblets, turkey neck, 1 stalk celery, and 1 carrot in 3 cups water or canned chicken broth for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Remove giblets and neck and reserve. Remove celery and carrot and discard. You can do this the night before, if you want.
- 2 cups turkey stock (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons fat: vegetable oil or margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- Finely chopped or ground giblets and meat from turkey neck (optional)
- Put fat into a large sauce pan and whisk in flour.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat for a few minutes to cook off raw flour taste.
- Add the wine and whisk for a few minutes.
- Add turkey stock now and cook, stirring, until gravy thickens to the point you like.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in giblets and neck meat.
- Hold over low heat until ready to eat, stirring now and then to keep a skin from forming. May be made several days ahead and held, tightly covered, in refrigerator.
Photo by goodiesfirst