In this recipe, the sweet ingredients offset the heat of the peppers, and since everything goes into one skillet, there is less to clean. Another good short-cut is to use pre-cooked chicken so you can add it as quickly as the rest of the ingredients.
Chicken and Pasta Diablo
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced habanero peppers (or 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes)
- 2 firm, ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Four cooked skinless, boneless chicken breasts (6 ounces each), cut into ¼ inch strips
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the fettuccine according to the package directions until al dente. Meanwhile, continue with the recipe.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, and habanero peppers. Cook, stirring, until softened and the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the bananas, pineapple, orange and lime juices, and the chicken cubes. Cook until the bananas are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken strips. Heat thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the fettuccine is done, drain well. Place the fettuccine in a heated serving bowl. Add the sauce and toss together well until the pasta is coated.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and serve hot.
Photo by ginnerobot