We found this recipe after you left home, and have prepared it a couple of times. We think it is very good, and quite easy to make. I hope you like it, served over nice penne pasta.
Chicken with Sausage and Capers
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
- ½ pound hot Italian turkey sausage, cut into ½” slices
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips (if you definitely do not like the peppers, skip them; add some more onion and tomatoes instead)
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 5 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Sauté the chicken until golden and cooked through, 6-8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
- In the skillet, cook the sausage, stirring frequently, until cooked through and browned, 8-10 minutes. Pour in the vinegar; cook until the liquid evaporates, 1-2 minutes. Add the peppers, onion, garlic, basil and seasoning; cook, stirring, until the peppers are tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, cheese and capers; bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly.