Other than at Christmas time, you can serve this dish as a first course, or late supper dish.
- 6 potatoes
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 can anchovy fillets (2.5 oz dry anchovies, no juices)
- 2 ½ to 3 dl (1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups) light cream (fat free half and half works)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- Set oven at 380F.
- Peel the potatoes, cut in thin sticks or grate julienne style.
- Grate the onions.
- Drain the anchovies and cut in pieces.
- Put the potatoes, onions and anchovies in layers in buttered baking dish. The first and last layer should be potatoes. Sprinkle some salt over each layer of potatoes.
- Dot with margarine or butter on top.
- Pour in a little of the liquid from the anchovies and half of the cream.
- Bake in a 200C (380F) oven for about 20 minutes.
- Pour in the remaining cream and bake for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.